I am exhausted, but I am so happy to be here! May/June 2024

 The first day of our vacation was an exhausting one. 

Mike ,Terin and I left the Comfort Inn at 10:30 am and took a free shuttle over to the airport. For some unknown reason Delta at Detroit airport is one hot mess! On our last trip we had to go up to the sixth floor to check into Delta. When we got there we saw that we had to tag our luggage ourselves and bring it over to them and we managed to teach ourselves how to do that. But today when we got to that same location the Delta area was all closed and we had to go to the third-floor. Also I wanted a wheelchair, but there was no wheelchair assistance up there so we had to go down to the third floor and walk for ages and stand in the extremely long, long, long line.  There was this crazy dude in front of us who apparently did not realize that luggage had weight limits and he had his luggage super overstuffed. And he kept taking things out and stuffing them in another bag, and that just went on and on. Finally  the line got so long that someone from another area waved us over and helped us thank God. But then we had to go wait for a wheelchair and we were starting to get worried because it was only an hour before boarding time. So we grabbed a wheelchair ourselves and Mike pushed me and Terin pushed the walker and the rest of the luggage and we managed to get through security and walk 400 miles to the end of the terminal to get to our gate.  Then I gate checked my walker and we got on the plane. The  flight was fine, except for the woman that tripped over my toe and fell in the aisle. Poor thing.  But we made good time and we landed and we had a really nice fella pushing my wheelchair this time . He took us to the baggage claim and then out to the taxi line because I knew that if you were in a wheelchair you got priority.  Not only did we get priority but he also made sure that we got a large vehicle since we had three people, luggage and a walker. So I gave him a good tip.

We made it over to New York New York, where I proceeded to get in line to check the kids in.   However, the lineup was so unbelievably long and I was already in a lot of pain from all of the goings-on of the day  so while I was standing there, I attempted to try and do the online check in on my phone and I was not doing it correctly.  But I left the big huge line and went to a little line that was for people who checked in online and when I got up to the front, I explained to the fella that I thought I was messing up but thank God he was kind enough to help me anyhow.  So then the kids and I went up and took a look at their room. It was what they call a Soho king and it was a nice room. Looks like it will be fine for them. We were all starving so I decided to try the America restaurant. I have never tried it before, but I noticed that I had a large of assortment of different kinds of food so I thought it would please all of us. Michael really loved it. I had salmon and green beans, and Mike had a club sandwich and Terin had chicken quesadillas. We all decided we needed some New York cheesecake and it was all very yummy. I was impressed with the place. I will definitely go again. I think Mike and Terin will end up going there for breakfast tomorrow. 

Next I got into a Lyft  and made my way over to Planet Hollywood. I was happy to see that the Diamond check-in was open. I checked with no issues.  I begged for a room that had a view of the fountains and he gave me a half view of the fountains. But I have a really lovely view of the Eiffel Tower, so that’s good. 

I dragged myself downstairs and was thinking about trying to play but I wandered around and I was just so exhausted  that I concluded that  this is futile. I am not going to enjoy myself. I decided to give up and come back to my room.

So it is 6 PM and yes I am in bed. This sounds familiar, eh? I think I’ve done this on other trips. I will get a good night’s sleep tonight, and hopefully have some energy to tackle tomorrow!



No comments:

Day 8 of my Fall 2024 Vegas trip report October 14

  Monday Mike and Terin left this morning.  It makes me sad.  I know I will see them in five days but it was fun having them around. The mai...