Downtown Vegas Has it All!


Four Queens



I didn’t even realize that downtown existed on my first trips to Vegas; my attention was completely focused on the Strip.
But over the years there has been a shift in my attitude. While the Strip cannot be matched for spectacular shows and posh hotels, downtown has a unique charm that appeals to me more and more. These are the reasons why:

Everything is cheaper. I mean everything. Since retirement, I have had to watch my pennies. I am not willing to give up my Vegas trips, but I have to do them in the most economical way possible, and that means spending the majority of my time downtown. You will earn a comped room faster here than on the Strip with a lot less play. There are tons of value priced dining options downtown. You can attend lots of free live music shows on Fremont. Even souvenir prices are lower here, often for the same item that you saw on the Strip!
Downtown Las VegasThe gambling is better. There have been studies done that prove that the table minimums are lower, and the slot machines are looser downtown than on the Strip. It should be noted however, that I developed this opinion merely from personal experience. My daily gambling allotment lasts longer downtown; my purse seems to empty at a much slower rate.

Four Queens

You will meet new people. That can happen anywhere in Vegas, but for me, it always seems to happen at a video poker bar downtown. The experience of meeting someone at 7 pm and becoming fast friends by 8 pm is priceless.
Downtown Las VegasIt has a nostalgic, old school feeling that I love. In recent years, there have been many changes and improvements to downtown, but you can still get the feeling of what it must have been like to walk these streets 30 or 40 years ago.

The evenings are one big celebration. The Fremont Street Experience has given downtown an incredible atmosphere: the bands, the light show, the zip line, the crowds and yes, even those crazy street performers all contribute to a festive, party vibe. It is like a state fair on steroids.


I love the neon. The Strip is a beautiful sight at night too, but giant LED screens don’t compare to neon, in my opinion. I may be slightly deranged, but I can stand in the middle of Fremont and gaze around me at all the fabulous lights and be absolutely thrilled and mesmerized by the sight.
Downtown Las Vegas

You can encounter a new adventure with every step downtown.  Visit Downtown Container Park where you will find restaurants, shopping, bars and the Dome, a visual entertainment experience. Want to sail over the entire Fremont Street Experience? Try the zipline at Slotzilla. Be sure to check out the Neon Museum and their amazing Brilliant show. It is just a few blocks from downtown.

Neon Museum Brilliant
All of these reasons and more are why I choose to make downtown my primary party place in Vegas. Are you getting fed up with the Strip and being over charged for literally everything? Why not give Downtown a try? Fremont Street invites you to eat, drink and be merry (for a lot less money)!
Downtown Las Vegas

Downtown Las Vegas
[Images: Scott Roeben, Blonde4ever, wikimedia]

No comments:

Christmas Alone

I imagine when you look at this title you might think this is going to be a sad and depressing story. On the contrary, I want to express how...